Naoko WATANABE 渡邉 野子
Representing the moment
when incompatible things meet
as a beautiful state of painting
• The conflict of different things happens continually in life. Rather than seeing it as a trap or inconsistency, Naoko Watanabe wants to make it the most interactive and active moment for each other to shine. The artist uses sensory contrasts as motif, and once again create spatial depth. She wants to use forms that lie between abstraction and figuration to expand free imagination of viewers.
• Naoko Watanabe thinks that striking strokes and quiet lines are folded in layers, the composition of abstraction and concrete, and the glossiness of the oil, the complex color mixture and the color that changes the way of viewing by light rays.
• In complex layering of colors, Naoko Watanbe sometimes sees the movement that exists in the everyday lives of people and nature. Lines appear in and are absorbed by the ambiguous and undifferentiated mass of paint. Some lines are alive, some are not, and she paints so that the lines can live.
Expatriate Artist from Japanese Government to Germany
Museum Collections & Prizes
1970: Born in Kyoto
1993: B.F.A in Painting, Kyoto City University of Arts 1995 M.F.A in Painting, Kyoto City University of Arts
2003- 2004: Studied in the Federal Republic of Germany as a Fellow of 'The Japanese Government Overseas Study Programme for Artists'
Studied at Prof. Jörg Immendorff class and Prof. Gerhard Merz class in Kunstakademie Düsseldorf
• Public Collections:
- The Ueno Royal Museum, Tokyo, Japan
- Sezon Museum of Modern Art, Nagano, Japan
• Awards & Felloships:
2011: Received the Prize of Town Mayor of Mihama at the "24th Mihama Art Exhibition"
2010: Received the Semi-grand prize at the "Toyota Art Competition"
2007: Received the Prize of Town Mayor of Mihama at the "20th Mihama Art Exhibition"
2006: Received the Prize of Nippon Broad Casting System, Inc.
at 'The 24th Ueno Royal Museum Grand Prize Exhibition'
The Ueno Royal Museum
2003: Was granted the 2003-2004 Fellowship of
' The Japanese Government Overseas Study Programme for Artists'
Agency for Cultural Affairs , Government of Japan
2000: Was granted 'HOLBEIN SCHOLARSHIP' HOLBEIN WORKS, LTD.
2000: Was granted 'The First Artist-Aiding Program SAP GRANT' Saison Art Program
2021: "Art Exhibition for the Hommage of René Julien", Ramatuelle, France
2021: Art Up Lille, Lille, France
2021: "Blooming", group exhibition, Art Thema • HéYī gallery, Brussels, Belgium
2020: "The Beautiful Experience", solo exhibition, Gallery G-77, Kyoto, Japan
2019: "CONTEXT" Art Miami, Florida, USA
"About Love. Like a Monster", solo exhibition, Gallery G-77, Kyoto, Japan
2018: "Glitter", solo exhibition, Gallery G-77, Kyoto, Japan
2017: "Unnamed Color", solo exhibition, Gallery G-77, Kyoto, Japan
2016: "CONTEXT" Art Miami, Florida, USA
"Purple, The Picture Plane", solo exhibition, Gallery G-77, Kyoto, Japan
2015: "In Softness, In Hardness, Exists BEAUTY", solo exhibition,
SEZON ART SHOP (Intercontinental Yokohama Grand), Japan
《Kyoto Art Center 31st Artists in Studio program》
+SEZON MUSEUM OF MODERN ART), Yokohama, Japan
"For Collapse of Massive Stars" Gallery a, Kyoto, Japan
《Kyoto Art Center 30th Artists in Studio program》
2014: "Color Shadow and Line Song", solo exhibition,
Kyoto City Dohda Senior High School of Art, Kyoto, Japan
"Seiji Tsutsumi / Takashi Tsujii Hommage",
SEZON MUSEUM OF MODERN ART, Nagano, Japan
2013: "Three fixed points observation", solo exhibition
Horikawa Oike Gallery, Kyoto, Japan
2010: "Toyota Art Competition", Toyota Municipal Museum of Art, Aichi, Japan
2008: "Kyoten", Kyoto Municipal Museum of Art, Kyoto, Japan
2007: "The 24th Ueno Royal Museum Grand Prize Exhibition"
Ueno Royal Museum Gallery, Tokyo, Japan
"20th Mihama Art Exhibition", Fukui Fine Arts Museum, Fukui, Japan
2006: "ART TODAY 2006", Sezon Museum of Modern Art, Nagano, Japan
"The 24th Ueno Royal Museum Grand Prize Exhibition"
The Ueno Royal Museum, The Hakone Open, Tokyo, Japan
Air Museum, Kanagawa, Japan
Fukuoka Art Museum, Fukuoka, Japan
The Museum of Kyoto, Kyoto, Japan
2002: "Art Exhibition of Selected New Artists 2002"
Kyoto Municipal Museum of Art, Kyoto, Japan
2001: "Politics of touches-what is the painterliness?"
Sezon Museum of Modern Art, Nagano, Japan
"PAINTERLINESS V", Gallery Haku, Osaka, Japan
2000: "The Present Exhibition of 'The First Artist-Aiding Program', solo exhibition,
Saison Art Program SAP GRANT"
Saison Art Program Gallery / Tokyo Gallery Haku, Osaka, Japan
"ASOBIJUTSU-To The World of Modern Art", Seibu Gallery, Tokyo, Japan
1999: "The Principle Beyond Word", O Gallery, Tokyo, Japan
1998: Solo Exhibition, galerie Où, Osaka, Japan
1993: "a sense of time", solo exhibition, galerie 16, Kyoto, Japan